Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs brings together current thinking and practices for evaluation of natural products and traditional medicines. The use of herbal medicine in therapeutics is on the rise in both developed and developing countries and this book facilitates the necessary development of quality standards for these medicines.This book elucidates on various challenges and opportunities for quality evaluation of herbal drugs with several integrated approaches including metabolomics, chemoprofiling, marker analysis, stability testing, good practices for manufacturing, clinical aspects, Ethnopharmacology and Ethnomedicine inspired drug development.
Written by Prof. Pulok K Mukherjee, a leader in this field; the book highlights on various methods, techniques and approaches for evaluating the purity, quality, safety and efficacy of herbal drugs. Particular attention is paid to methods that assess these drugs’ activity, the compounds responsible and their underlying mechanisms of action. The book describes the quality control parameters followed in India and other countries, including Japan, China, Bangladesh, and other Asian countries, as well as the regulatory profiles of the European Union and North America. This book will be useful in bio-prospecting of natural products and traditional medicine-inspired drug discovery and development.
- Provides new information on the research and development of natural remedies - essential reading on the study and use of natural resources for preventative or healing purposes
- Brings together current thinking and practices in quality control and standardization of herbal drugs highlighting several integrated approaches for metabolomics, chemo-profiling and marker analysis
- Aids in developing knowledge of various techniques including macroscopy, microscopy, HPTLC, HPLC, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS etc. with the development of integrated methods for evaluation of botanicals used in traditional medicine
- Assessment of herbal drugs through bio-analytical techniques, bioassay guided isolation, enzyme inhibition, pharmacological, microbiological, antiviral assays and safety related quality issues
- References global organizations, such as the WHO, USFDA, CDSCO, AYUSH, TCM and others to serve as a comprehensive document for enforcement agencies, NGOs and regulatory authorities
- Mukherjee, Evidence Based Validation of Herbal Medicine, Elsevier, Feb 2015, 9780128008744, $225.00
- Watson, Bioactive Food as Dietary Interventions for Diabetes, Academic Press, Oct 2012, 9780123971531, $129.95
- Taylor, Advances in Food and Nutrition Research, Vol 47, Academic Press, Nov 2003, 9780120164479, $205.00
those involved in the fields of herbal medicine, traditional medicine, pharmaceutical sciences and natural product research. Researchers in the herbal drug industry and academicians studying relevant areas of plant sciences, analytical chemistry, medicinal chemistry, phyto-chemistry, alternative medicine, pharmacognosy, natural products and related fields will be benefited. Graduate and post graduate students and researchers in these areas but also will be useful to the technocrats in the industries and the legislators to know more about the methodologies developed for quality evaluation of herbal drugs